Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I Hate Cancer

When we are little, we are taught not to use the word hate.  It's something I teach our boys.  Hate is word I don't use lightly.  Mostly, I'm a lover, not a hater.  But, I can't bring myself to use any other word in conjunction with cancer.  I don't dislike it or feel lukewarm about it. I simply hate it.

With that said, a lot of good and a lot of love come as a result of cancer, and for that, I'm thankful.  I think you see the best in people during hard and trying times.  However, if cancer ceased to exist, I'd be more than ok with it.

I can't list all the people I know who have battled cancer.  It would take too long, and you'd probably stop reading.  My heart is so full of love and prayer, for my friend, Sherry Ellis, who was just diagnosed with colon cancer a few days ago.  She's handling it with a positive attitude and peacefulness that can only come through God.  I'm in awe of her and proud to be her friend.

Everytime I hear of a friend having cancer or meet someone like Tanner Page and her mom Beth, I have the same feeling.  The feeling is hard to describe...but it's a desperate, helpless feeling.  I like to fix things and make them better.  But cancer is something, I can't easily fix.  I know I can pray and I do.  But I NEED something to physically do. 

So, I run.  It seems simple.  Running.  How does it help?  Beyond all the personal benefits, it gives me a platform to fundraise and create awareness.  As I'm sure you all already know, Mark and I are training for our first full marathon with Team in Training.  I'm immensely excited about the marathon and the trip.  But I'm even more excited to know what I'm doing is making a difference and changing lives.  Team in Training benefits the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, which specifically provides funds for research and patient support to blood cancer patients.  But often the research reaches to other forms of cancer. 

If you are interested in supporting our efforts our website is http://pages.teamintraining.org/tn/dublin11/emilymark.

1 comment:

  1. Emily, you're doing a great thing and I hope you're able to meet your goals! I'll be praying for your friend too! Can't donate right now but I will definitely try.

    ReplyDelete