Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Goals, Goals, Goals!

The best way to be successful in anything you do is to set goals.  The goals need to be written down and reviewed often.  At work, I have monthly goals, that are then broken down into daily goals.  Daily goals means I always know where I am...and more importantly where I need to be.

I have lots of running goals - some long term and some short term.  I've always wanted to visit every state.  Since I've started running, I've altered that goal.  I want to run a half marathon in every state.  This goal will take at least 10 years to accomplish.  Registration fees and travel expenses really start to add up.  Short of winning the lottery, it'll take me at least 10 years to be able to afford to do one in each state.

For 2011, I have several goals.

1. Finish a half marathon with a time of 2:30 or better.

2. Complete my first full marathon in Dublin, Ireland.  I'm thinking this accomplishment will need to be celebrated with a tattoo.

3. I have the standard issue "lose weight" and "improve fitness" goals.  I'd like to lose 30 pounds.  And before anyone says that I don't need to lose that much, trust me, I've seen the scale and the ideal weight range for my height...and yes I definitely need to lose 30 lbs! 

4. Run 11 races in 2011.  Originally, I was going for 11 half marathons, but with the addition of the full, I'm changing it to 11 races. 

Here are the races I'm thinking of now:

February 13, Rock n Roll Mardi Gras Half New Orleans, Louisianna

March 12, Tom King Half, Nashville
April 30, Derby MiniMarathon, Louisville, Kentucky
May 1, Flying Pig Half, Cincinnati, Ohio
August 7, Rock n Roll Providence Half, Providence, Rhode Island
September 5, Franklin Classic Labor Day 10k, Franklin
September 17, Warrior Dash, Manchester
September 24, Women's Half marathon, Nashville
October tbd, The Middle Half, Murfreesboro
October 31, Dublin Full Marathon Dublin, Ireland
November TBD
December 4, St. Jude Half, Memphis

As for the 28 day challenge, I'm still on track!  This Sunday is the first race of 2011.  I love the city of New Orleans.  I'm so excited about this trip.  I promise to blog before and after the race!

1 comment:

  1. great goals, remember some downtime though.. not sure how many 1/2s you did last year but they do take a toll on the body.. a full will wear you out as well.. stay healthy, run smart

    ReplyDelete