Sunday, September 26, 2010

Lynn Manzelmann

I’ve heard of runners collapsing on the course or near the finish line. I know it happens, thankfully rarely. Without looking it up, it seems like overheating or exhaustion would be the leading causes. It seems reasonable to jump to the conclusion that maybe the person wasn’t adequately trained. But as I learned, that wasn’t the case at all.


Yesterday after the Women's Half Marathon, while still in the post race party area, I heard a runner had collapsed near the finish line. It’s a sad thing to hear. You don’t expect it to be someone you know. Or someone you’ve talked to the last few weeks about training. Or someone who helped start and lead a training group.

Lynn Manzelmann is the runner who went down just before the finish line. I’d talked to her before the race. Along with other members of Nashville Cable, a women’s networking group, we’d gotten together before the race and had a picture made. Before the picture, she was telling me about the intervals they were going to do. She was so excited and so vibrant! I saw her running with some other fabulous ladies from CABLE at the half way point; she looked fantastic.


Lynn was well trained. She’d been training as long or longer than many other people running in the race. She had a heart attack. It was a 90% blockage. The last update I got last night from one of her good friends at the hospital was that her organs were shutting down, but she was hanging on. She needs a miracle to make it.


She’s strong. She’s a fighter. And she has a huge host of friends and fellow runners praying for her. Please continue to pray for her.

As a side note, the race was fabulous. I'll have another post this afternoon about the race.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know a miracle worker and I am believing and praying for Lynn! I don't know her personally but I felt as if I knew all the ladies running yesterday. I got home and cried out for Lynn, because Lynn could have been me.

    I am believing and I will pray! Thanks for the information Emily!

    Jonell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jonell,
    Your comment: "I don't know her personally but I felt as if I knew all the ladies running yesterday." was close to my exact words to a friend this morning. At the finish line, I heard my coach calling my name.. I ran to her, practically fell in to her arms, and cried my heart out! Writing helps me sort through emotional highs and lows... both of which I experienced yesterday, so I blogged. WHM was my first.. what a connection I felt with a few thousand amazing women!

    Emily... thanks for posting! I am a mentor with the No Boundaries program at Fleet Feet in Murfreesboro. I look forward to following your posts!!

    May God Bless You ALL!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was also at the race. I had finished the race and had returned to the area before the finish line to cheer in the runners I coach from the Clarksville YMCA. I was standing on the other side of the barricade when I saw Lynn go down right in front of me. I didn't know her personally, but I prayed and cried and prayed some more while the paramedics worked on her. I saw earlier today that she lost the fight and I am devastated for her family. I will pray for all of you who lost a friend and family member in her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had finished the race (my first half!). I was elated. I was at the results board with friends when one of them saw the ambulance come in, but we didn't see where it went. When we got ready to go back to our hotel, we ended up having to walk right past where they were working on her. I started praying, we all started crying. We heard the ambulance a few minutes later and when we didn't see anything on the news we were rejoicing in the "fact" that she must have been alright. We were again devastated to hear the news of her passing yesterday. I've been trying to figure out exactly what to post this morning. It's hard for me to think about anything else but Lynn.

    Just like all those hills on the course, life is full of ups and downs. I take comfort in my faith that God is good all the time and, even when things don't make sense to me, He knows exactly what He's doing...and promises to work "all things" together for good.

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry that I don't know any of you, but Lynn was my oldest and dearest friend, going back to age four in our daycare days. Like Lynn, I am an only child, and I can't remember a time when she was not in my life, through thick and thin. Thank you all for your kind words and support, especially for her family at this time. She was doing what she loved and, typical of Lynn, when she took on something, she gave it 110% Lynn has always had a close walk with her Lord and I know that Heaven is an even brighter place today. Again, my sincere appreciation to all those in Lynn's Nashville "family".
    Donna Phillips Dunning
    djpdunning@mchsi.com

    ReplyDelete